Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chapter 11

Slowly, I inched out of the TV room (after waiting and waiting for what felt like centuries) and went by Bailey's door. The quieter I was, the better. I couldn't risk waking her up... for now, I could pretend that I was going to the bathroom, but then it may take her a while to get back to sleep, so how could I leave without her knowing then? No, that wouldn't happen. I had to be quieter than a mouse, much quieter than that, so quiet that I had slow, shallow breaths, constantly breathing in our out. 

When I got very close to her door, I went even closer until my body was pressing against it. Going to the crack of the door, I put my ear to it trying to decide if she was asleep. When I heard that her breathing was slow and steady, I was satisfied. She was sound asleep. 

Continuing to move slowly, I looked on the high shelf next to the front door where she kept her keys. I smiled to myself when I saw them there as they were supposed to be. 
I took them, and opened up the door, turning the knob all the way to the right to ensure it made no noise. I closed the door behind me gingerly. If I lost my patience and made any fast movements, I’d be screwed. 

Taking the keys and rolling them around in my hands, I walked to her car, studying it. I had been in her car a few times, sure, but I hadn't driven it. Speaking of driving - I haven't driven in a while either... I don't own a car, and Trish is always the one to drive me somewhere since her plans and work schedule could change any minute. 
Instead of pressing the remote unlocking button, I went up to unlock it manually. I wasn't sure if a sound would be made if I pressed the button: do cars even do that? Or is it just a light thing? It seemed silly that I couldn't remember, but at that moment it wasn't coming to me. I might as well stay on the safe side. 

When I got in the car, I didn't give myself a moment to breathe. I had to put the keys in the ignition so I wouldn't have time to change my mind. I didn't even want to go all- 'what would happen if she realizes in the morning that I never got my stuff?... This wasn't an excursion I could choose to take or not, I had to do this. 
Quickly, I turned the keys and cursed at the wind (without actual words, of course) when it made a fairly loud noise. I crossed my fingers that Bailey didn't hear, or if she did, she didn't think it was the sound of a car (and she wouldn't get up to see, for that matter), and I'd be able to convince her it was something else if she asked in the morning. 

I was so paranoid that she could wake up, that I waited a little bit to turn my headlights on. I know it's dangerous, but her street isn't busy, and... well, I had no choice. 

Soon I made it to Trish’s house, and I looked at it as if it were a haunted house... so I didn't dare step onto the lawn. I couldn't move an inch away from the sidewalk. For a moment I got scared that she was still awake, in the living room with the lights off looking outside, and noticed me. But, she was too surprised to see me that she couldn't make a noise, like, 'no, that couldn't possibly to Teej!' But I knew how truly silly it was and silently laughed to myself. The lights are out and she needs to sleep 'just in case a client calls and wants to schedule an early appointment'. I continued to encourage myself that I'd be alright, gosh, just man up, she's sleeping soundly. Heck, normally she'd be asleep hours ago! There's no need to be worried. This isn't some old person we're talkin' about, that gets up in the middle of the night. She never needs to get up in the middle of the night, ever! Despite my thoughts telling me she was sound asleep in bed, I imagined her getting up because she had diarrhea. Oh, whatever, either way this has to be done. Pushing all doubts away and letting them flow away to the ground, I went as quickly to the door as quietly as possible. I pulled my house keys out of my pocket and turned the knob, ready to feel the heat of the indoors. 

I came inside and looked into the dining room and, of course, no one was in there. I heard the slow and steady hum of random appliances and deciding I was good, I turned my attention to the stairs. I gingerly put my foot on the first one and when it made no noise, I eased my other foot on the next one. Then I continued on, going extra carefully. 

When I made it upstairs, I went to Trish's door and did the same thing to hers that I did to Bailey's, I put my ear up right to its crack to hear her breathing. In a few moments, I determined that she was asleep, so I moved to my door and opened it even slower than all the rest since this time the door was right next to the sleeping person's. 

For a minute, I just sat on my bed. I had missed my bed already and it had only been one day. One day! It was the most exhausting day I've ever had, and it wasn't even over yet. I looked at my giant painting through the semidarkness, and drank in its abstract nature. I used to think that it represented me since I was misunderstood, but isn't it true that I'm not anymore, or is it just that I am in an all new way? I'm no longer a scared little boy afraid to socialize - I'm past that. And yet - no one even knows the true nature behind my transformation. Everyone thinks it's all fake, but it's real - I'm truly no longer an albino, this was a real transformation. And the mysterious Brianna won't even let me tell anyone! Not a soul, for no reason I could discern. 
Suddenly, I shook my head back and forth and snapped myself out of my thoughts. Sitting here in the dark, thinking to myself had made me realize just how exhausted I was, and I still had a lot of time I needed to be up for. Shoot. 

I went into the closet in my room and grabbed a bunch of boxes stuck one inside another that were leftover from many of my room makeovers - often the littler pieces of furniture came shipped in boxes. I had kept them for when I'd be able to move into my own place (who knows when that will happen!), and I guess now is as good a time as any to use them.... 
I started rummaging through my drawers, tossing in my clothes as quickly as I could so I could get out of here as quickly as possible (while being quiet as a mouse, of course). 

I brought two boxes at a time down the stairs, not because I didn't think I couldn't handle more, but because what if one falls? Yeah, that could just not happen. 
Each time I brought the two boxes down, I put them in Bailey's car, and that continued for about ten boxes. Yeah, I know, how could a guy own so much stuff? I don't know either. 

After what felt like forever, I finished with the boxes, and I got in the car and went slowly away - until I was far enough away to feel comfortable, and then I sped away, glad for that to be done, wanting to go to bed. 

When I got back to the house, I put all of the boxes on the deck since I couldn't put them in the house, Bailey hadn't seen them there, and what would she say if suddenly they were there? The best way to do it was put them on the deck. 
When I was finally done, I sat on the railing for a brief moment and grinned to myself. Mission accomplished. 

When I got back in the TV room, I automatically rolled my clothes off my body, not caring if they were inside out. I was so exhausted I probably could sleep through an earthquake with a 9.0 magnitude. 
When my head hit the pillow, I barely had time to think through my day, other than the obvious fact that so much has never happened to me in such a short period of time besides maybe when I got my makeover. Yeah... that wins, but there's never been any other time... It was at that moment I fell asleep. 

When I woke up, I didn't even bother to change into my clothes for the day. I went into the kitchen and sat on a chair, still trying to get up. I didn't want to get up for the day quite yet (I didn't sleep that long, really), but I was tossing and turning so much. I blame the hard ground. 
I looked straight ahead of me with my eyes half open, not looking at anything in particular. 

I wasn't up for too long when I heard soft footsteps behind me. I turned my head and noticed Bailey, who was in her bra and panties. At first I was surprised she was wearing them, but then I was embarrassed that I just had my boxers on. I was the only one that ever saw them like this before, so, who could blame me? 
But then, I brushed it off, figuring that she was half naked too, and we would see more of each other eventually. I was such an idiot last night, but that was also because I was worried about my plan... 

I made a point to look at her face, just as I would if she were fully clothed. 
"So, what should I do with my stuff?" I said, as a way of pointing out that I actually did have my stuff. 
She shrugged. "Wherever it fits. The best place would probably be the TV room since that's where the most room is..." 
I nodded and said, “I slept so badly last night. That's the last time I sleep in a sleeping bag.” 
She looked at me and grinned. "I hoped you'd say that.”

7 comments:

  1. He can't avoid Trish forever and Bailey may start asking questions of her own. What will he do then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll just have to wait and see ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is all a dream. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!! T.J. is so eccentric! But I know he's just nervous. You did a great job of describing that scene where he's running through all the possible scenarios in his head : D. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am wondering what Trish will do when she does find out if she does I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys!

    @anon 1- are you thinking that from my previous stories or something? LOL. Why do you say that, if not?

    @anon 2- TJ's crazy!

    @Aeon- yeah, wonder what she'll say, if anything ;).

    Also, I'm already in the midst of typing the next one (I had school off today), so expect to see that up within an hour :D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the pictures you put with this! Love all the description as well :D

    ReplyDelete