Friday, September 16, 2011

Chapter 6


I strutted into the shop and sucked in my breath.  This is it, the reactions I was most looking forward to from when I...changed.  I want to know how Trish and Bailey will act too, of course, but sine they know me so well they're bound to be biased.
When I walked in the store, no one really noticed me.  Yet.  Considering the amount of people there normally was, it was pretty busy.  So I decided to settle on one of the couches in the middle of everything because surely they would notice, right?  Or did my being an albino define me so much that they wouldn't even notice me?  I mean, the cashier girls did call me 'Mr. Alibaster' after all, like I was some porcelain doll.
Speaking of the cashier girls...I glanced over at them, and through the corner of my eye, I noticed that two of them were whispering and stealing glances at me.  I know that's what they were doing, as white as my skin used to be.

But then, I noticed that they were walking toward me.  They were staring into the distance, but still I was sure of it.  Since I was burnin a hole in them, they apparently wouldn't dare stare straight at me too.
I braced myself for their reaction.  Would they approve-or would they not even know who I am?  Yeah, do they think they're just introducing themselves to a new, good looking guy?

As they got closer, I stood up in anticipation for their reaction, and eventually I saw a spark of recognition cross their faces, but they still wouldn't snap.  When they stopped directly in front of me, I could tell without a doubt that they knew.  The brown haired girl didn't hold it in at all- she put her hands on her cheeks, her eyes grew to the size of the moon, and she gasped.  The blonde just tapped her fingers together as if she was questioning if it was really me- 'Mr. Alibaster', as they knew me.
Then they started to mutter questions, but studdered profusely.  I couldn't make out a single sylable of what they said.  To put them out of theri misery, I stopped them by saying, "yes it's me, TJ, or 'Mr. Alibaster' as you guys call me.  Guess you can't call me that still, now can you?"

They didn't say anything in reply, they just stood there agog.  The brown haired girl still looked just as shocked as she did initially.  When I didn't see Darius in sight, I decided to go.  Might as well save one reaction for later.  As I went out, I could feel many eyes burning holes in my skin, as if everyone eavesdropped into our one way conversation.  I left smiling, because I just realized that I didn't mess up anything this time.  My feet were firmly planted to the ground.


Just as I walked to the store and everywhere else today, I used my feel again to get home.  Now that I'm walking to my doorstep, I'm promising to myself that I won't be walking this much ever again.  I hope.  In a way, I just want to scamper to my room and sleep for the rest of the day.  I at least hope I could get away with that, but with my luck Trish would demand to know where I was, because she thought I was at the furniture store the whole time, and since I walked home- exhausted- something must be fishy.

But, putting that aside, what will she think when she sees me like this?  That she's dreaming like grandma and grandpa would think?  I'm still pinching myself-how coudl this have happened-how was it possible?
Will she be more worried about me than she already is, because she would insinuate that I went to see if the note was true..

I sucked in my breath and opened up the door.  I started to walk up the stairs quietly, until I heard voices in the living room.

I peaked my head to look in the room, and when I did, my heart quickened.  I only thought I'd have to face Trish, at least for now, but Bailey was there, too.  They were talking on the couch, and Bailey had dry tears on her face and she was whimpering with every word.  Oh gosh.

I creeped out of my hiding place without making a sound.  They were still chattering, until Bailey moved her head and noticed me.  She watched me for a while, so Trish moved her head too.  Bailey looked amazed, but Trish stood there frowning at me.

Suddenly, Bailey jolts herself off the couch and flung herself at me.  Trish followed too, but with much less joy.  She looked absolutely pissed.  I ignored her because I wanted to concentrate on Bailey's embrace.
As if she didn't notice I was different, she said, "oh, I'm so glad you're okay, TJ, I was so worried!"
She clung on for a while, and squeezed me tighter every moment.  I continued to look into the distance making sure not to look at Trish.  But when Bailey finally peeled herself away from me, Trish gave me the death glare.

The lines in her forehead became more pronounced as she yelled, 
"Teej, I was so worried about you!  A few hours ago, Bailey came here, sobbing because she wondered where you went.  She mentioned the note, so I became worried.  Where were you?!"
I didn't answer, there was nothing I could say.
"What on Earth have you gotten yourself into?  You were perfectly fine before you sprayed yourself in tanning shit and dyed your hair.  Why'd you do it, huh?"
Again, I didn't answer her because no reply would satisfy her.  I just had to know what the note meant, so I figured it out and went with it, and it worked.  My hair isn't dyed and I'm not covered in tanning spray-that's definitely not what she did.  I was believing that somehow she added or took away some genes to irradicate my albinism or at least that's the theory.  I know it sounds insane, but I feel it in my bones-and that's sorta literal.

I was so lost in thought that I didn't realize Trish left.  I looked around the room and still didn't see her-she had her say.  I just hope she is feeling bad for me or thinks she's a horrible older sister-it wasn't her doing.  It was all me-she couldn't stop it.

I turned my head to Baiely who was staring at me with a gleam in her eye.  At least she wasn't holding a grudge.  "Would you like to go to the pool with me?"
I nodded slowly at her. That was a way to change the subject.  "Let me change into my trunks..."

When I got to my room, I searched deep in my bottom droor for my trunks.  I tend not to swim that much because I don't exactly like looking like a crab.  Sunscreen only helps so much- but with a nice healthy base tan- also known as my natural skin color, I knew I wouldn't burn up.
As I changed into my trunks, Bailey stripped off her clothes revealing a black bikini.  She put her hand on my side, "you ready to go?"
I nodded, grinning wide.  For once, I'll be able to swim without feeling self conscious-not getting beet red is a bonus.

When we got to the pool, my self confidence soared.  No one was looking at me like they were at the store, but still, I felt good- comfortable in my own skin for once.

4 comments:

  1. I still liked him better before but I know this is a journey for him. The reaction of the sales girls was funny and Trish was extremely ticked off. I can't wait to see what she has to say when she realizes it more than a tan. Bailey didn't seem to have much of a reaction????? What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this story IS about he reacts from him being changed...and, other certain things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy it so far, I wonder how it was done. I can understand why Trish would be disappointed, but then again it's his body so he's free to do with it what he'd like heh.

    ReplyDelete