Sunday, November 6, 2011

Chapter 9

Quite willingly, she let me inside. "Oh my gosh, I can't believe you want to live with me! Does this mean... oh my gosh, it couldn't! Does it, TJ?" 
"Erm... what?" Jeez, now she was going all 'I'm making you guess since you just have to know' on me! 
"TJ, don't be silly, you know what I'm talking about, or you wouldn't want to move in with me. I love you too." 
"Um... sure...." Sometimes you just have to go with what the girl says, or you get in trouble.


"I can't believe it! You love me too. I'm glad I'm not the only one." 
"Well-it's that and... Trish and I sorta had a... fight." 
"What kind of a fight? Tell me all about it!" 
"Um... it's just a sister brother thing... I'm not going to be living with you permanently - I hope you understand that." I hope. 
Of course I couldn't tell her the real reason right now- that I couldn't tell Trish about Brianna and my makeover (at least she only knew I was keeping something from her, but not much more)... since this was a secret I had to keep from everyone, my sister and girlfriend included. 
She shrugged happily. "Well, I'm still glad I can help you in your time of need." That's what I love about Bailey: she's so easy going, and doesn't pry me for information. 
Suddenly, her eyes perked up. "Oh yeah... I was going to be getting ready for work!" 

She started walking to her bedroom and I followed her.

I was greeted by her bird Sammy when I came inside. 
"Big plan. Big plan," it said as it looked at me. I jumped and glanced at it. Her bird was so funny sometimes! 
"What plan, Sammy?" 
"Big money. Fortune," it said again. 
I noticed Bailey was looking at some letters. "What is it talking about?" 
"Oh...just some favor I was going to have you do for me. Be quiet Sammy!" 
"Sorry Bailey, Bailey." 
"What favor?" 
"I'll tell you later."


While I was in there watching Sammy, she changed into her work out clothes, not even caring that I was there. I was startled that she just took her clothes off carelessly, as I was there. 

She noticed my startled expression and she just looked at me and raised her eyebrows. "This is nothing, TJ. If we're going to be living together...." I shivered at her implications. I really didn't want to live with her for any of those kinds of reasons, I'd been too transfixed on keeping my secret and not telling Trish that any other benefits didn't come to mind. 

After she got dressed, she speed walked out to the door and quickly put her hair into a side ponytail. 
"I'll be back in a few hours TJ. Feel free to make yourself at home. Now may be a good time to get your clothes and stuff." 

After she’d said that, all I wanted was for her to get out of the house. My heart rate was starting to quicken and my muscles got weak. I couldn't let her see my worried expression. I watched her go outside and into her old tan car, it wasn't until she pulled out that I was a little more at ease. 

I started pacing the small hallway. I hadn't exactly planned this far. For now, I just have the clothes on my back, and all my other stuff is at home, guarded by Trish. I can't just go back there to get everything I'll need with her there. She won't let me leave without answers, after everything that's happened... I can't....

Then I decided it would be a good idea to sit down. As my tush hit the wooden surface, I let myself breathe deeply and I put on a fake smile. It'll be okay... everything's all good! Bailey is okay with letting me live with her! She actually seems to be looking forward to it. I still have a job, and Trish can't stalk me at my workplace either since I don't just work at one place! I'll just have to be careful from now on. If I ever see her... I'll have to make sure she didn't. She can't know where I'm staying.... 

Suddenly, I realized that my stomach was growling. I'm sure I worked off a lot of calories from running and the amount of adrenaline I’d had pumping through me! Gabe would be so proud... 

I looked in the fridge and freezer and settled for grilled cheese since it's very easy to make. 
I focused my attention fully on the making of it, willing myself to make the best grilled cheese ever. The proportion of cheddar cheese, the right amount of butter evenly spread on the bread, and it all had to be cooked to be perfectly golden brown on each side. I had to think only of the grilled cheese to make myself feel better. For now, the present just felt so good.


After spending a while on cooking the perfect ooey gooey grilled cheese, I sat down and ate it, focusing on the melted cheese and brown crunch from the bread. I closed my eyes after every bite- it was perfection. I didn’t think I'd ever eaten a better grilled cheese. 

But after I was done (which took me a while to finish, because I just had to savor it... and the moment of not thinking about my close future), the thoughts of guilt and nervousness took over me... 

I couldn't go back home to get my stuff, and I couldn't not go home to get my stuff... It didn't seem I had any good choice. It was a lose lose.... And I couldn't just go out and buy stuff either - I had no cash with me. Sure I could get more by making over people's homes... but I needed the cash now, not in two months. Even if Bailey would lend me money- I would still be in as big of a predicament as with Trish. She would get suspicious... and even if she weren't, she could offer to get my things back home, but I couldn't let her do that since then she would tell Trish where I am.... and it would be even messier than it was before.


So I decided to go into the TV room to let off some steam there, to ignore my problems. As quickly as possible, I walked inside so I could focus on my moving versus my troubles. Sammy probably could hear me! I could just imagine what he could be saying, 'what's wit all da racket!?'

When I turned on the TV, a horror show was on. Normally I'm not into horror - but I figured it might be good to watch today, since I could see that other people have it worse than me. I focused on the show as well as I could - so I couldn't let my thoughts wander.... at first that was very hard to do, but I ended up enjoying the program. I was scared for the main characters... but the terror wasn't real, like my life was right now. 

After a while, Bailey came home and saw me right away in the tv room (since it's rather close to the front door). 
"Hey TJ, were you okay with me gone?" 
"Yeah, I was... fine," I lied. 
"That's great! So are you all set for tonight, and living together now?" 
"What?" Right after I said it, I knew what she meant. She suggested I get my stuff from home....
"Oh - right... about that. Um... I didn't have a car to get my stuff, as it would be hard without a car to get everything." 
"Oh, that's right... wait, so duh Trish didn't drive you! How did you get here?" 
"Taxi...." I lied again. Great, so this secret was going to be one of those kinds of secrets where you had to lie every other sentence. 
"Then let's go!" 
I looked around the room and panicked. "Um... not now!"

6 comments:

  1. Lol!! Poor TJ. He keeps getting deeper and deeper into trouble. It's going to be hard to keep this secret for long. Loved the imagery while describing the grilled cheese sandwich. You made me hungry : D. Great chapter! Looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ is just digging himself in deeper and deeper. I don't trust Bailey, I think something is up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I wonder what the bird's nattering on about? I really love how you wrote this, TJ distracting himself from what's really going on - and I really like how you're switching tense, I'm always too scared to do that haha! I may try in the future... just look back at my edit of this as a reference lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, what is TJ supposed to do? Right: he is stuck in a hole.

    But, it's like this. He was sent inside of a concrete fence miles high when he had the makeover. Then if he didn't do anything, he was stuck in his guilt and secrets. Now, he's just digging and digging till the concrete is gone on the bottom. Neither way was good. Poor TJ.

    Analogies FTW :D.

    @CourtneyHelen- LOL, I guess I DO switch tenses. For me it just comes naturally, I don't overly think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my eye on Bailey! I think she's up to something herself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! My blog is up (finally!) And you can read it here! http://lilypadstory.blogspot.com/ Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete